Transitional Housing

There are many people and families that fall upon hard times on occasion. This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as a job loss, an illness or a financial criminal investigation that has negatively impacted the family and their financial resources. Whatever the reason, these families that have found themselves in difficulty are often faced with losing their homes are at risk of being on the streets. This is where transitional housing help can assist them.

Read more about financial criminal investigation

What is Transitional Housing

Programs that offer transitional housing help provide temporary residence facilities to families that are in need of a place to stay. This may be for a period of up to two years, to help the person or family get back on its feet. The temporary housing is part of a collection of services that assists families and individuals to regain financial stability in their lives.

The Challenges that Families Face

Families that are faced with homelessness must deal with a whole raft of economic and personal challenges. These can range from a lack of employment opportunities, to finding adequate child care services and having enough eat. In top of these problems, there is also an acute sense of shame and discouragement that is felt by these families who find themselves in this position. To help ease the burden, there are many agencies and organisations that offer transitional housing programs.

Help for Single Mothers

One of the most vulnerable groups that are affected by homelessness are families headed by single young mothers. These women are at a unique disadvantage because they have no spouse to ease the financial burden and help support the children. For these women, the goal of transitional housing is to help them obtain economic self-sufficiency.

What the Programs Offer

The goal of these programs is not to keep families or individuals on housing support indefinitely, but rather to give them the means to achieve self-sufficiency. This is why the programs have a maximum term of 24 months. During this time, not only are the families or individuals receiving housing and food, but they are also offered other services such as counseling, for cases where an individual is battling drug addiction or emotional issues that contributed to them getting off track in the first place. The programs also offer transportation since many families may not have a car available, and training so that they can be ready to enter the workforce. Families are assisted every step of the way, from placement until the time they are able to set out on their own.

Viewing the Results

While many families are able to make positive changes to their situation during the transitional housing program, for others it is more difficult to bounce back after homelessness. While many participants manage to secure employment and their own housing, others may continue to struggle, especially if there is a history of drug or alcohol abuse. In such cases, the individuals may require continual counselling and assistance from other helping agencies.